Red Hat Inc., the company behind the Linux open-source operating system, said Wednesday that net income in its fiscal first-quarter grew 8 percent as subscription revenue increased.Shares added $2.78, or 6 percent, to $49 in after-hours trading. Red Hat's stock has dropped 13 percent in 2013 and closed down 41 cents at $46.22 Wednesday.The Raleigh, N.C. company earned $40.4 million, or 21 ...
) to compete more in the consumer 3-D printing space. Makerbot makes less expensive systems for hobbyists, though they're not exactly cheap -- the Makerbot Repolicator 2 sells for ...
SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp recently talked with Nokia about buying the Finnish phone maker's devices unit, but the discussions faltered and are not likely to be revived, the Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday in its online ...
Do you have an external hard drive that you cannot write to on your Mac? While most external storage media's default formatting and other setups should make them both readable and writable on most Mac systems, there may be times when this is not the case. NTFS formatting The first detail to check is if the drive is formatted to the popular NTFS format used in Windows systems. Often ...
massive image of the surface of Mars that hits 1.3 billion pixels . The interactive view of the Rocknest landscape is courtesy of the Curiosity rover. It took the rover's three cameras and image collection activities spread over several different days to gather all the visual data. This is the first NASA-produced image from the surface of Mars to top the 1-billion-pixel ...
That Little Monster [DVD]
Clocking in at just under an hour in length, Paul Bunnell's That Little Monster is a quirky little sci-fi/horror comedy about the perils of babysitting mutant babies. ...
acquired Spindle, a mobile application for learning about what's happening nearby, the companies announced Wednesday. "We've spent the past two and a half years building a product that helps you answer the question: 'What's happening nearby right now?'," the startup said in a blog ...
This superhydrophobic coating is truly stunning The NeverWet package contains two cans -- a base and top coat -- capable of covering 10 to 15 square feet with water-repelling action on a multitude of surfaces including metal, wood, fabric, and plastic. The base coat takes about 30 minutes to dry, and the top coat takes another 30 minutes to cure. Unfortunately, it's not wise to use ...
(Credit: Facebook) Facebook has a communication problem. The apps are talking the network but with limited context and bottlenecks inside its data centers. Now, the social network is planning to improve the communication with a new networking fabric to serve its 1.1 billion users. "Networking is built around ISP networks and protocols for interconnecting of ISP networks. It's not ...
(Credit: Screenshot by Chris Matyszczyk/CNET) Sometimes my CNET handlers like to challenge me. Or perhaps they're sending me a discreet message. Today, for example, one of my knowing leash-pullers sent me details of an app he thought might interest me. I took one look and wondered what he might have meant, for this was not something I would ever Pinterest. You see, I now have set ...
(Credit: James Martin/CNET) Microsoft backtracked today on its much-derided policy that would have required Xbox One gamers to connect their consoles to the Internet once a day to prevent game piracy. Microsoft faced a huge ...
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Hilton Hotel Auckland, New Zealand
Promoted as 'The Boutique Hotel completely surounded by water', the Hilton Auckland is indeed in a unique location, right at ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
New Zealand StarNew Zealand Star | New Zealand News | National Bureau
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The New Zealand Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive New Zealand news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, New Zealand news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local New Zealand news, the weather forecast for New Zealand you'll find it all in the New Zealand Star.
From Auckland to Dunedin, the New Zealand Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
Two men accused of murdering an Indian-origin man in New Zealand in January have pleaded not guilty and are now headed for trial.
Bryne Pelmar, 20, and Shivneel Shahil Kumar, 18, have been charged with burning alive 21-year-old Shalvin Prasad Jan 30 in south Auckland.
The two appeared in the Auckland High Court Wednesday and pleaded not guilty to the charge, media reports said.
Both the accused have been remanded in police custody and the case will be heard by a jury in July next year.
Prasad was killed Jan 30 hours after he withdrew NZ$30,000 from a bank, according to a police report made public last month.
Both Kumar and Prasad had been exchanging text messages in the days leading to the incident about a debt Kumar had to repay to Prasad.
Prasad's father had got concerned after his son withdrew such a large amount of money and called the police, who then recovered the body from McRobbie Road in Kingseat in south Auckland.
According to the report, on the fateful day, after withdrawing the money from the bank and texting Kumar about it, Prasad got into his car and followed the latter from the car park outside.
Kumar and Prasad continued texting and talking to each other and later arranged to meet up after the victim's football practice and after Pelmar's work got over. ...
- Building Consent Authority accreditation for Rotorua council
- Four men arrested after assault at Deep Creek Brewing Co
- Bettle quits Diligent board as Dominion Finance trial looms
- Kiwi falls as US signals end to quantitative easing GDP looms
- Telecom reveals number of customers using iMessage Skype
- Assange calls Gillard government perverted for abandoning him
- 80 Sri Lankans held while trying to migrate to Australia
- Australian charged in attack on Indian restaurateur
- Cricket Australia rejects Channel Nine claims of influencing team selection
- Sri Lanka calls for Tamil refugees in Australia to return
- 2.7 mn Jeeps to be recalled by Chrysler over concerns on fuel tanks
- Dalian Wanda Group to buy UK yacht maker and hotel property
- Settlement monitor faults four largest US mortgage servicers for lapses
- Lundbeck and several drug firms fined for pact to delay generic drugs
- Spain urged to pursue further reforms to generate growth and jobs
- France ring changes for All Blacks Test
- Wallabies name three debutants for Lions opener
- Folau confirmed on Wallabies wing against Lions
- Erakovic seeded at Wimbledon
- Sir John climbs trust ranks Judy hangs on
- First lady raises eyebrows with hair do in Belfast
- New Twitter account casts Taylor Swift as feminist
- Facebook looking to partner with Samsung to boost mobile advertising sales
- Helen Flanagan robbed after tweeting she was alone at home
- What workers hate about work culture at Facebook
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest New Zealand Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Duo plead not guilty to murdering Indian in New Zealand
- Hesson concerned over Vettoris career hampering Achilles tendon problem
- Mobil launches agent recruitment drive in New Zealand
- South Canterbury DHB pledges support for patient safety
- Minister marks World Refugee Day